Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Aid vs. Development


Most people use aid and development interchangeable or at least I did, until now. This summer has been filled with “you learn something every day” type of days. Recently I have been scouring the blogosphere for advice on getting development jobs. The first thing that most blogs state is to know what you want to do, aid or development. This is good advice seeing that I didn’t know they were different type of jobs.

Now let me explain the difference. Aid refers to humanitarian aid, short-term assistance for a specific problems, war, natural disaster, etc. Development on the other hand, is the long-term sustainable programs and projects aimed at poor or marginalized populations.

I know that I want to work in development. I like the idea of being part of a project that has long term effects and benefits. Even though I am very ADD when it comes to work I think I like the idea of being involved in a project long enough to be able to see what works and what doesn't.

So, now you know what type of work people are referring to when they ask you to donate to aid projects or development projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment